First day of clinic! What a day. Controlled chaos with over 130 patients seen by 30 PTs in a 6-7 hour period. To give you a better picture of the clinic I have attached a picture at the bottom of it before the patients came in. It is about 800 square feet with 14 beds. There are 30 therapists, 30 interpreters and more than 30 patients and heir family members milling around the clinic at any given time.... all these people while we are doing gait training, family training for transfers , bracing trials and orthopedic interventions. That is what I mean by controlled chaos. Although I am constantly bumping into people and saying" excuse me" I would not have it any other way. If I have a moment of down time I look to the therapist next to me and 100 percent of the time they are performing an intervention I have not seen before. I look two feet beyond that therapist and see another therapist teaching a PT how to do walk using techniques I had read about but never seen. All the bo...
Travel day! We woke up at 3:30 and were on the road by 4:45 am...... so early! It is a good thing we start early through because traffic starts to pick up around 6. We did. It break down at all and we had the fancy new bus! About a half hour in we got a road block. Some truck had pulled off to the side of the road and the. A car got stuck. Our bus could not get by. A few guys got out and moved the car and after a few scary moment where I was convinced we were going off a cliff we made the turn and were on our way. I slept 90% of the way( surprise surprise) and when I woke up we were 75% of the way there. This was a much easier ride than the way to PDP! We arrived at our hotel and immediately I put in my bathing suit and hopped into the pool. After two weeks of hard work it felt great to be splashing around a pool at a fancy hotel. I hung out by the pool for s few hours and the hopped in the shower( hot water!!) and took a nap. Dinner was buffet style with lots of veggies and food I hav...
Today was a crazy wound day again! I started off with about 7 returners, but did not actually get to see them for about 2 hours because I was seeing wounds on other people's patients. I had one patient today who I have been seeing since last week who I needed to talk to about getting an amputation because his wound is not healing and very prone to infection. I spoke to an American doctor who comes to Haiti to do surgery to ask what his thoughts were. He is currently thinking thiabpatient may have sickle cell anemia. Tomorrow we are going to escort this patient to get labs done and we are going to give him some vitamins and fluid via IV. Good thing we have good nurses on the team that can set up and IV! The patient flat out declined an amputation , but he was willing to go see th surgeon to see what he had to say. Although this patient heard what I said , I know he is currently in denial and tomorrow when I see him he may either be really mad or sad or both. I see that a lot ...
Comments
Post a Comment