Day 4

What a day what a day! It started with a 34 year old who had a history that sounds like guillian barre. She had not walked in 10 years and stood infrequently. My interpreter had to carry her in. I worked with her for about 3 hours. We got her a brace for her foot, sneakers to wear and a cane. We did some transfer training, sit to stand training and finally some walking! By the end of our session she was able to walk out of our clinic! This is why I love coming to Haiti and working with STAND. A woman who had not walked in 10 years was able to walk out of the clinic on her own. I may have shed a tear or two😜. All she needed was a little training and encouragement . Suffice it to say my day was made . My next lady had a far less complex history and was in for back pain. Although her pain was not totally gone when she left she was so happy that her pain was less she started to dance for us. I worked on her with two students and she insisted on a picture at the end of our session. I have posted it below. Such a cute lady! In the afternoon I worked with a woman who had had a stroke 1 year ago and had the most tone I have ever felt. We were able to decrease her tone enough with putting her foot in dorsiflexion with an ace wrap that she could actually active her quad muscle. The look on her face was priceless when she realized she could actually move her leg. Great things happen when people get PT!!!
To top off a great day we had a salsa lesson.... obviously fantastic.💃🏻💃🏻 the only minor downer of the day was the rainstorm that flooded out my bedroom. No worries though , I moved inside and will sleep nice and dry! All is well here in Haiti. Til tomorrow.......
   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 3

Weekend days 7 and 8

Day 5