Day 6

Bon fait dropo!!!!! Happy flag day! Today is a national holiday in Haiti and people have work and school off. The clinic was just as busy as ever. We had a fun start to the day with the interpreters leading the patients waiting outside in a Haiti s national anthem. Immediately after we got down to business. I saw 6 people in the morning most of whom had ortho issues. I did my first solo cervicle manipulation and got a crack each time I did it!!!!! I also quickly saw another persons patient who needed stitches taken out... always good times. In the afternoon I saw a few people who had had strokes and several smaller wounds I have been following. The running theme of my day today was high blood pressure. I had a patient who had a blood pressure of 200/100 and a few at 180/100 eeek!!!! Luckily we are well stocked with BP medications . Educating people on food choices is one way to help control BP; however, The difficulty here is that people eat what they can get. If you advise them to limit salty  or fatty foods, they may not get anything to eat.  The highlight of the day was going salsa dancing at night!! We took a cab or tap tap where you cram as many people as humanly possible in the back of a pickup truck. I bet all the locals got a good laugh watching is yelp at every bump, especially after we blew a tire . The group tore it up on the dance floor. Compa is a tradition Haitian dance which I tried a few times with some of the interpreters but I have yet to get the hang of it.     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 3

Weekend days 7 and 8

Day 13