Haiti day 5

Today was a crazy day. I think I only saw about 6 patients all day who were actually assigned to me. Most of the patients I saw had athletes foot on smalll wounds from bacteria. I did see a pretty nasty head wound( unknown origin) and moisture associated dermatitis. I saw a few returnee patients ( all wounds) and a smattering of ortho patients. Most of the ortho patients o saw had back and neck pain. I did a lot of needling and manipulations as well as massage and cupping. All of the patients we see work really hard day to day to make a living/ survive. They have to get into crazy positions and carry insane amount of weight. It is no wonder they are so sore!
I also screened some general medical patients for basic issues to make it more efficient for the nurses to give out meds. I have become rather proficient in testing pee for UTIs as well as taking blood sugars. I am also getting really good at cranial nerve testing and vision screens. I learn so much here!!!
After work we hung out , sorted drugs, ate dinner and then headed off to a salsa club. OMG!!!!! So fun. There were a few really good dancers there. I did a bolero solo with one of them. I watched the video and I did not look like me dancing! There were minimal ballet arms and I actually looked like I knew what I was doing!The salsa dancing is super fun, but my favorite part is the tap tap ride. At home we always wear seat belts and only put as many people in the car as can fit safetly. Well that does not happen here at all. There were wel over 25 people sitting and standing in the back of the truck. The people in the town all look at us like we are " crazy white people" all yelling every time we go over a bump. Personal space is not a thing here and we were all packed in like sardines. I bet if Haitians had been in the tap tap, they would have had far more people efficiently packed in. Luckily for us our driver was nice and went slow.
The town itself comes alive at night. All the people are out in the streets in in the small shops lining the dirt street. Driving rules here seem Willy nilly, but I have survived several tap tap rides unscathed.😜



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 3

Weekend days 7 and 8

Day 13