Day 15

Today was my first full day at St. Boniface. I got a quick tour of the hospital before heading off to the SCI unit. This hospital is in a little world of its own . There is a fully capable NICU, maternity ward, gen med ward, pediatric ward and surgical ward. There are three surgery rooms. All kinds of procedures are performed, but none are elective. There is also a lab, pharmacy and outpatient department. There is of course the SCI center which is across from the rest of the hospital. The SCI center has a little rehab gym, a basketball court, gardens as well as residences for the patients. The patients share a room, though the rooms are pretty big. The staff consists of a PT, social workers, psychiatrist as well as RNs trained in SCI protocols. There are also several rehab techs that do a second treatment for the patients each day. 
Each patient gets seen for 2 45 ish minute sessions. The rehab techs are way more involved in patient care here which is great and of huge benefit to the patients. They get way more exercising in. The patients are also in charge of their own schedules and are expected to turn up to their therapy session on time.
This morning I got to shadow a wound nurse doing her rounds and then I observed the PT clinic for a bit. I did a little. It of treating, but mostly teaching and demonstrating different techniques. Sophia ( the PT who works here)!is super cool and is teaching me a bunch of things as well. I ended the day doing an eval on a baby. I have not done a pedi eval since before Spaulding so I had to brush off a few cobwebs. The baby was super cute and giggled a lot so it was fun. Below are some pics from the clinic





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 3

Weekend days 7 and 8

Day 6