Day 5

Great day again today, but very different from yesterday. Today I mostly saw people with wounds ... gnarly wounds just how I like them😜.i won't go into details about each of the wounds, but they kept me busy for 6 hours! One thing that was interesting to me was how people described how they got the wounds. At home you ask people how they got a wound and for the most part they will tell you ever little detail . Here , you ask people how they got a wound and they often  will either tell you they don't know or it was a vodoo curse. Culturally here it makes sense. They believe in curses . If they can't explain how they got a wound to them it makes sense they a curse was placed  on them. While culturally this is very interesting for me to ponder, medically it makes it rather challenging! 
I did see a few patients with ortho complaintes. I did my first dry needling as well as manipulation today.  Dry needling was not a technique I was familiar with until my least Haiti trip. In layman terms it resets nerves to reduce acute and chronic pain as well as relaxes muscles. It is a fairly new technique in the PT world and there is some debate about it, but from what I have seen it works wonders and significantly improves mobility. You can also use an electrical current with it which enhances the effects . Hopefully I will get to use it back home! 
Another really cool technique I have been using here is cupping. It is not the cupping that leaves crazy bruises like the cupping the Olympic swimmers got. It is a gently technique hat can stretch both fascia and muscles to improve mobility and decrease pain. This technique really loosenes up tight muscles. I had it done to me and it felt amazing! Another technique to being home😜
The weather here has been pretty wet and there has been a lot of flooding in our city, but that has not kept our patients away! I have posted some pictures below of what the roads look like. If I had to travel by foot on roads that looked like that I would just stay home. Our patients don't have that option because we are are the only source of medical assistance they can readily get . Another great day in Haiti! Til tonorrow🇭🇹
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 3

Weekend days 7 and 8

Day 5